Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: The Wish List

The Wish List
The Wish List by Eoin Colfer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



One day, Beelzebub called St. Peter and asked for a favor. Of course, saints can't lie but demons are practically required to, especially when Pete insists on calling them "Bub." It's these small details, woven into Eoin Colfer's stories, that make me laugh. Most of his books are filled with quirky, cute or irreverent (or sometimes all of the above!) comments that keep me coming back for more.

I really liked this book and can't even pick a favorite part. The pudding that fell out of Meg when she forgot to concentrate on it? The poor Belch, forever bonded with his just-as-mean dog? The random vaporizing of spit turners in Hell? I loved all of it.

This isn't a book for everyone, of course. I like to think of it as "Hitchhiker's Humor" since The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was the first book I read (and fell in love with) that used imaginative nonsense and craziness in unorganized-but-works-in-the-end style. This book reminds me more of Colfer's "And Another Thing" than the Artemis Fowl series.



View all my reviews

No comments: