Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review: James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing

James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing
James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing by G. Norman Lippert

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The first few chapters were a bit overwhelming in their changes and I wasn't sure that I would finish reading it. In fact, I didn't even tell my daughter (who is a huge Harry Potter fan) about the book because I didn't want to re-read it if it was terrible!

Once I accepted that houses were friendly and welcomed others into their common rooms, that Slytherins weren't vicious, powerful and evil, that kids weren't placed in dorms by years, that Americans were around and completely changing the curriculum, well...after all of that, I was okay.

All in all, it was a good book. I loved that Snape and my other favorite characters were still around. Even Voldemort is mentioned regularly! And SPEW! The best part of the book was that James was finally overcoming that "Potters need to work alone and be the hero" mentality that was so strong in his father. Now, if we could get rid of Ralph's over-sized, lime green wand, perhaps the book would feel more magical :)

This book is fan fiction...but it's very well thought out and the writer carried Rowling's habits into this story, giving it a very familiar feel. I'll definitely read the next book!



View all my reviews

No comments: