Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: T.A.G.: A Diabetic Food System

T.A.G.: A Diabetic Food System
T.A.G.: A Diabetic Food System by Mary Joan Oexmann

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



My daughter is a T1 Diabetic and we've been doing 'diabetic math' for 5 years now. On a message board I saw people reference the TAG system for calculating insulin needs. It was hard to find a copy (thank you, Amazon!) and the book is 22 years old. Once I realized the age of the book, I was really surprised that people were using it. Diabetes care has changed so much over the past two decades and I wasn't sure why outdated info would be useful.

I then read the book. And read it again. It talks about setting a meal plan, calculating insulin needs for the non-carbs in a meal, and had templates to use in calculating TAG. What it didn't do was tell me how to use it to treat my daughter. Honestly, I wondered why it was getting so much talk if it didn't do anything except set meal plans. To be fair, this makes sense because it was written in 1989...and things have changed so much.

I finally realized that the book is an explanation of the math. If you want to use it as part of a dual wave bolus plan for insulin pumps, go online and research it...then read the book...then go back to your online resources and try it. This book didn't answer my questions and it was a bit overwhelming. I've been weighing her food and calculating off of carb factors for 5 years so I'm comfortable with calculations but this book made it seem so much more complicated than it needed to. I'm glad to have a copy for reference but the most useful information is available online.



View all my reviews

No comments: