Sunday, September 11, 2011

Review: The School Lunchbox Cookbook

The School Lunchbox Cookbook
The School Lunchbox Cookbook by Miriam Jacobs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



My ability to come up with healthy packed lunches for school seems to have disappeared for the summer. I decided to check out different lunchbox books for inspiration.

This has been one of my favorites. The beginning of the book is information on healthy food choices, the dangers of children eating unhealthy foods, the advantage of making foods at home, etc. Nothing I blatantly disagree with as I'm one of those "real foods" people that prefer unprocessed, unbleached ingredients.

The recipes aren't filled with processed foods or hard to find ingredients. They are kid-friendly and easy to follow. My ideas for different sandwiches have grown. I feel like I could make everything in the book...and that even my picky eater would willingly eat about half of the foods. Most cookbooks have less than 10 real-life options for me so this is a great change.

The reason that this is a 4 star book instead of a 5 star book is because the author is a huge fan of disposable items and plastic. She recommends buying printed paper napkins and wrapping everything in plastic wrap. As a time saver, she suggests wrapping a month's worth of plastic silverware in paper napkins and sealing them with a sticker. Cloth napkins and metal silverware are such an easy change and reuseable containers aren't difficult. The wastefulness disappoints me...and it almost made me give the book 3 starts.



View all my reviews

No comments: