Monday, September 19, 2011

Review: A Cold Day In Paradise

A Cold Day In Paradise
A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I enjoyed the first 15 chapters of the book. In fact, I mentioned it to a friend as a book to look for. And then we reached chapter 16 and the entire book went weird. As in, I wondered if I had accidentally plugged in the wrong book. A suspect suddenly appears, the former cop makes a series of stupid B-movie decisions and an implausible showdown occurs. At that point, the end seems clear but I listed to the next few chapters while I waited for him to figure it out. I finally reached chapter 22 and I was so irritated by the author's closing technique that I'm still annoyed by it, hours later. I feel that a good mystery wraps up with a solid closing and all questions are answered in a quick conversation. I'm even fine with epilogues. But a monologue? And a suggestion of illegal revenge? I feel like I started a great book, lost it in the middle and ended with a bad book.



View all my reviews

No comments: