Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: The Death Cure

The Death Cure
The Death Cure by James Dashner

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Really?? It's really going to end like this??? I feel cheated. I have loved this trilogy and have waited excitedly for book three. The first, with the Gladers, was amazing. The second, with the Scorch was crazy exciting. And then there is this...no enemy except WICKED?

More lies but enough truths. And I can't even begin to describe how irritated I am that I read three books and never learned anything. I want to know how the trials began and how average kids became involved. I want to know how on earth reactions to WICKED-made monsters would even remotely lead to a cure. I want to know what the point of a Griever was. Or the maze. Or two groups. Or cities for the afflicted.

**spoilers after this point**

And what did I learn? Nothing except Rat Man's real name, which is completely meaningless. Oh, and that WICKED was involved in the disease. Not exactly a surprise.

All of those Gladers get their memories back and we get nothing. No details, no emotions, no memories, no information on how they were selected. We're left with a hero that spent more time arguing and debating and a sidekick with serious temper problems.

Honestly, I think Dashner wrote two great books and hadn't figured out the answers to the questions he created. Maybe writer's block and a deadline created this story?



View all my reviews

No comments: