Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: Gone

Gone
Gone by Michael Grant

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I'm disappointed. I realized when I got the book that it was the start of a new series because the GoodReads page lists it as Gone #1. I read all 558 pages of it, knowing that it would end and start again in another book. It doesn't, however. Instead, the book merely pauses and then waits expectantly for the reader to go buy the next book.

I love series. I love dystopian/changing reality books. I love teen fiction. I was ready to absolutely love this book.

I didn't like all of the characters (Quinn and Astrid in particular) but that's fine. Any book with nothing but agreeable people would be boring. I didn't like the speed and danger that happened, but again, it's the style of the book. I really didn't like all the baby and toddler deaths. Honestly, poofing everyone over 14 and under 4 would have been a great choice.

My biggest issue is that the book didn't end. Sam made one of the worst decisions I've ever seen made in a book and left the series ready for future epic battles. I simply prefer closure. I want the storyline and the current problem to be resolved and understood by the end of the book. Book 2 can have new situations, new dangers, new adventures, etc...but let Book 1 actually end. I wanted the closure. My 4 star rating dropped to 2 stars in the last five pages. At the same time, I decided I wouldn't continue the series. Six books (time-consuming books, by the way) to get to an ending that I might not even like? Not for me. I'll bow out now.



View all my reviews

No comments: