Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: The Nature of Jade

The Nature of Jade
The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This was clearly a teen book, yet different from so many. The main character, Jade, is 18 and a senior. She is an excellent student, volunteers at a zoo...and has panic attacks and fears. I liked the elephants, the boyfriend's family, the insight into friends getting ready to separate, and her relationship with her family.

The writing is beautiful and descriptive and the words paint an image in your mind as you read. I'm a Sarah Dessen fan and feel that this book is a strong competitor for hers.

In the book, I wish things were better for Oliver, though. Poor kid never got a break. I would like a second book that explores Sebastian's life and learn what happens to everyone in the next year. Her parents' lives are changing, Oliver's world is turning upside down, Jade is starting a new life - there's so much left to say.




View all my reviews

No comments: