Saturday, November 5, 2011

Review: Awaken

Awaken
Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I was surprised to see a young adult book that shares my view of the dismal public school system and the likelihood that virtual schools will replace them. In this case, the schools have become targets and children are dying so the government backs a digital school where all learning happens at home. The propaganda about the dangers of the world become so accepted that few people involve themselves in face to face human interaction. As with anything, there are two sides to the story and a group of people are fighting the digital school and digitized society.

I like the fake, sterile world created and I like the fighters, regardless of how unrealistic both sides are. Good battle, well drawn lines between groups and the ending also has the potential to be a beginning if the book turns into a series.



View all my reviews

No comments: