Friday, January 20, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test


The Goddess Test
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



2 1/2 stars.

My like of Greek mythology and my fascination with the gods in the Percy Jackson books made me think this would be an excellent story. Told from a teenage girl's point of view, this story had a chance to reveal a different side of the gods.

Instead we meet a dark, depressed, emotionally stunted god that is preparing to fade away because he isn't able to get over his loss of Persephone. The ruler of Hades mooning for millenia over a girl? Really?? I mean, ruler. Of Hades. I just don't understand it.

I have two main issues with the book, the first of which is also one (of many!) compaint of the Twilight series. The age thing completely creeps me out. I thought the 90 year old vampire scoping out teenagers at high school was disgusting but this is beyond that point. Instead, we meet an immortal being that is an unimaginable amount of years beyond this 18 year old woman and we are expected to believe that her 'I'm going to ignore my mom's medical death sentence for four years because I think like a 6 year old and pretend that ignoring it makes it go away' mentality is going to work as a goddess bride and queen of the dead? She can't even have an actual conversation with other people but she's the perfect match for a god. Hate it.

My second issue is the lack of substance in the mythology department. The ending actually included a description of who was who in the gods and goddesses arena because the book had never managed to express it. Instead of tossing in a few paragraphs to wrap up the end, I would have preferred to have been exposed to the nature of the people around her so that I could have pondered possibilities while I read.

All in all, not a horrible book but not one I'll pick up the sequel for.



View all my reviews

No comments: