Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review: Pantry Cooking


Pantry Cooking
Pantry Cooking by Laura Robins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I am slowly filling my pantry in an attempt to keep more food on hand and available. In doing so, I have debated the merits of the bulk purchasing of some products in a dehydrated form. The only thing that has stopped me was the difficulty in finding a single resource that was filled with recipes for the dehydrated ingredients. I finally found it in this book, only to be disappointed that I can't find a copy to purchase.

The book is written with no filler text and no wasted words. When you read the introduction, it reads like a bulleted list of details that has been transformed into paragraphs only by deleting the bullets. I have no issue with that but it was unusual.

The book is built around a 5 week eating plan and has 3 meals a day for each of those 5 weeks. They aren't gourmet or wildly unique but in the case of an emergency, they would suffice. I also liked that her suggested food list for 1 year's storage was basic. So often, writers have made multi-page detailed lists that specify even the cans of asparagus to store. You calculate servings, remove the item, find another item to add the servings to then try to buy it and wonder what you are missing - but this book is simplified and she lets you divide it as you would. For instance, she doesn't care how you divide rice and pasta, just that you have 400 pounds of that food category. I really appreciated that.



View all my reviews

No comments: